Optimized for large catalogs
Empire is specially built for high-volume online stores with a large number of products and collections.
Empire’s advanced live search lets you show search results and quick links for products and store pages.
Homepage menu lists
Display menu lists on your store’s homepage to let customers easily navigate large catalogs.
Advanced product filtering
Allow customers to filter products by type, and sort by best sellers and price on collection pages.
Allow customers to quickly and easily add items to their cart without leaving the collections page.
Customizable promotion tiles
Promote sales, discounts, and featured products on your homepage with special promotional tiles.
Submit your review
We absolutely love this theme! We've spent hundreds of dollars in trying & applying themes from other websites before buying Shopify themes which appears expensive but every single dollar is worth This theme is just great for larger inventories and easy customizable . Have been using since 6 months and have no plans to look further . Highly Recommended https://www.stylyst.com.au
Great theme with a very nice support team. They are always free to answer any question. High recommended.
I was searching for a theme that would accommodate my growing inventory, and display the right 'personality'. When I viewed Empire's demo, I knew I found what I was looking for. And, now that my store is set-up, it has not disappointed me in any way. Working with Pixel Union's support team, especially Marika, was an absolutely wonderful experience! She was positive and patient as we worked through several things to customize the function and look of my website. I highly recommend this theme to anyone who has a large inventory! ♥DaileyBooksellers.com
The folks at Pixel Union; Norm, Marika & Hannah has been extremely helpful rendering their support for this wonderful Shopify Theme that we’ve recently acquired. The theme itself is well built and of first class quality, definitely one of the best you can lay your hands on right now if your focus is on crafting a scalable eCommerce Store. Well done guys!
We've noticed a difference in our traffic, conversions and overall function of the site since switching to the Empire theme. We custom coded a few elements on the product pages. But overall, we are very satisfied thus far. Their customer service team is extremely helpful. They'd answer our emails within 1 business day, and were always eager to help.
How do I install the theme once I’ve purchased it?
Easy! We’ll email you a zip file, which you can upload via the “Online Store” section of your Shopify admin. Simply click “Upload theme” and it will be there for you to customize, preview, and publish when you’re ready.
Can I customize the theme styles? Or can I use one theme style on one page and another style on a different page?
Yes and yes! We created these theme styles to show the diversity of Empire’s features, but you can pick and choose however you want. Think of the styles as jumping-off points.
Can I use our company’s font?
Maybe. If your company’s font is available in the Shopify font library or through Typekit, you can use it in the theme. If it’s a Typekit font, you will need to edit your theme’s code
Can you help me customize the theme?
We can help you get set up and familiarize yourself with Empire’s features, but we can’t guarantee support for extensive customizations. That said, we’ll do whatever we can to help you find a viable solution.
Does this theme integrate with all Shopify apps?
Not all, but many! All Pixel Union themes integrate with Pixel Union apps. If you’re using an app from another developer, please contact them to see if it plays well with Empire.
March 21st, 2019 – v4.4.0
- We changed the underlying html for mosaic and grid sections so that they are more accessible
- We added in some keyboard navigation handling to our slideshow.
- We have added focus states and other accessibility features to our account pages
- Our search menu was updated to be more keyboard accessible.
- We have updated the Collections List page to be more universally accessible
- We’ve made several changes to the Cart page to make it more universally accessible!
- Product cards needed a little update with regards to accessibility and keyboard navigation, so we fixed that.
- We’ve updated the blog page and blog homepage section to be more universally accessible!
- We have added alt text and aria-labels to the Instagram feed for use with screen readers!
- We have added the option to include a caption with videos on the homepage, and added some accessibility features!
- We fixed our product pages and quick shop windows to have better support for people who navigate with a keyboard.
- We have updated all of our modals for things like the Quick Shop so that people who use keyboard navigation can use them easier.
- We have restructured headers on several pages to make sure they occur in the correct order!
- We have updated the collections page to be more accessible for people who navigate with a keyboard.
- We have removed the duplicate newsletter input ID on the homepage!
- The announcement bar is now has an outline while using keyboard navigation.
- Removed the imagesLoaded code library to use our own library, hopefully making page loads more streamlined.
- The color overlay will now display on homepage videos
- Now background images in the search section are nice and crisp
- We’ve fixed the “Show 36” and “Show 48” buttons on the Collection page
December 19th, 2018 – v4.3.3
- Changed dynamic checkout buttons content
- Changed dynamic checkout buttons to be enabled by default
December 6th, 2018 – v4.3.1
- You an now use rich text in the small promo and highlights banner areas
- You can now choose to show the dynamic checkout buttons on the cart page
- We’ve added a LinkedIn social media icon
- You can now choose to show a lock icon on the checkout buttons
- Live Search will now redirect to the search page when the user hits ‘enter’ or clicks the search icon unless the search field is empty
- We did some cleanup behind-the-scenes to make the giftcard work more efficiently!
- Simplified the code for the Grid/List buttons on the collection page
- Added comments to CSS to clarify how the Product Gallery works
- The ‘Message Us’ button for the Facebook Messenger sales channel will appear over all other page content.
- You can now add rich text to the announcement bar, small promo, and highlights banner areas
- Added comments to video snippet to clarify how it works
- We’ve made the instructions for creating a mega-nav a little clearer
- The homepage will now have only one H1 tag containing the store name
- Dropped IE9 support. Cold.
- Timestamps on Recently Viewed Product cards should now be accurate when they are older than 24 hours
- Recently Viewed Products will now update with changes to product details since the last browser session
- We’ve removed the video overlay when it’s not enabled, so you can now manually play Vimeo videos
- Header now only sticks when you want it to
- Variant labels and image switching now work properly on product pages when related products are shown
- iOS sometimes automatically turns phone numbers into links, and now these links work properly in the announcement bar, small promo, and highlights banner areas
- You can now scroll through product galleries on iOS when image zoom is enabled
- Fixed issue where swiping through slideshow results in page scrolling
- Twitter video thumbnails will now appear in the dynamic twitter feed
November 15th, 2018 – v4.2.5
- Labels will now animate if input is autofilled.
- We prevented zoom instructions from showing up on images that are too small to qualify for zoom, because what’s the point?
- Clicking outside a menu now closes the menu just like it should.
- Fixed issue where Header menus with almost 2 levels of menu items would have a blank white space underneath on initial load
- Fixed issue where opening up the quickshop when there was two of the same product on the page would cause the quickshop to be empty
- Fixed an issue where sometimes you could filter by multiple tags in the same tag group
- Only style the last selected filter before reloading the collection page
- Improved error handling when adding to cart fails
- Fixed issue where the add to cart button in the quickshop would not work if image zoom was enabled
- Fixed issue where the homepage video section would have extra white space underneath when the quickshop was opened
- Made collection page filter modal on mobile scrollable without having to click a filter
- Fixed issue where header covers breadcrumbs on the product page if no menu is selected for the navigation
- If you click into the search box with the add to cart flyout open, you no longer have to click a second time before typing
- Display different form components depending on whether JS is enabled.
November 2nd, 2018 – v4.2.4
The homepage blog section is now the same width as other homepage sections, because why wouldn’t it be, right?
We also prevented Google from indexing the collection page multiple times for some better SEO.
September 6th, 2018 – v4.2.3
- We fixed an issue where opening the same product in the quickshop twice in a row would cause the slider to stop working.
The white space between the header and first section when resizing the browser has been removed.
The Add to Cart banner closes when you click outside of it, just like it used to and is supposed to!
August 28th, 2018 – v4.2.2
- Fixed issue where quickshop would break if you tried to open it multiple times
- Fixed meganav images from appearing blurry
- Prevent slideshow from getting cropped on mobile
August 20th, 2018 – v4.2.1
- The collapsed grid and mosaic tiles now load nice crisp images, just the way they should-delightful!
- There’s a brand new option to show a second product image when you hover over a product in the listings.
- We’ve also added a new setting that allows you to align the text on the slideshow! left, right, centre, wherever.
July 26th, 2018 – v4.2.0
- We’ve connected the OpenGraph, and Twitter Card header tags to a more robust piece of logic. You can also find a new setting to set a default share image!
- We’ve added the ability to show SKU’s on the Product page, the Cart page, the Quickshop and the Featured Product section!
- The promo block header size now stays the same after expanding the block on mobile
- “‘!*%()/<> characters, and more, now work properly in product option names
July 13th, 2018 – v4.1.0
- Empire now supports image zoom! The feature is available on the Product page, the Quickshop, and the Featured Product section.
- We’ve updated payment icons to use Shopify’s SVGs!
July 4th, 2018 – v4.0.3
- Whoops! Fixed up an issue with instagram and twitter sections not loading posts until saving in the theme editor
July 3rd, 2018 – v4.0.2
- Fixed up a small inverted bit of logic, so that “View full details” now show in Featured products without descriptions.
- Touched up styles on the Cart page when an item product has options.
- We’ve made a small optimization to the product form, just to reduce some markup 🙂
- Pinterest “Save” buttons were showing even when an article, or a product, had no image to “Save” — They’ll hide properly now if there is no image.
June 14th, 2018 – v4.0.1
- Reverted unintended change to the color of placeholder text in forms
- Fixed the button styling of the Grid/List buttons on the collection page, so that they work better with dark backgrounds
June 7th, 2018 – v4.0.0
- We’ve added links to the product’s vendor! They’ll link in the following areas:
- Quick shop
- Featured product
- Product pages
- A new setting has been added allowing customers to be brought to the cart page after a product has been added to it.
- We renamed the “Quick look” to “Quick shop”. You can change it back in the Languages area if you want to 😉
- We’ve moved some settings around in “Theme settings -> Products”. Settings which only relate to the “Quick shop” are now under their own heading, which should make finding things easier
- There were a few small bugs in the Rich Text section which didn’t cause any problems, but we wanted to get rid of those all the same 🙂
- Fixed the header shadow showing up a bit incorrectly on wider screens
- When viewing a collection, the active ‘Show by’ selection should once again be styled differently than other values, letting Customers know what kind of pagination they’re seeing.
- Multiple Map sections should no longer cause errors
- We’ve updated our responsive library code, which should give a few improvements
May 31st, 2018- v3.0.0
- Added support for the new font picker setting. Soo many fonts! Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
- Its always nice when the Theme Editor names a section, or a block after the heading in that section! So we’ve fixed up the Slideshow’s Slides, the Video section, and the Search section so they all do this!
May 15th, 2018 – v2.4.5
- Fixed issue with images not loading in the quickview.
April 26th, 2018 – v2.4.4
- Fixed an issue where portrait images in the live search were displaying larger than their allotted area.
- Fixed an issue where disabling the Dynamic Checkout buttons setting was causing errors in the quick look.
- A giant grey box was appearing in the order pages just for fun. We don’t like fun. Goodbye, grey box.
April 19th, 2018 – v2.3.2
- We fixed a scenario where product galleries would have no height unless the window was resized.
- If a product video isn’t the first video in the gallery, but is the selected
video for product variant and autoplay is enabled, the video will now play.
- Fixed an issue with flickering promo blocks on mobile.
April 5th, 2018 – v2.3.1
- YouTube links using ‘youtu.be’ should now work in the home page video and videos in the product gallery.
- Home page videos work now if they don’t have a cover image.
- We fixed up how we call up YouTube videos.
- The product gallery videos no longer load up additional images and we adjusted the styling to match the theme better.
- Fixed a JS error popping up if recently viewed products are disabled and there are more tags available than shown in the collection sidebar.
- Slideshows on mobile should no longer be getting in the way of scrolling for Android users
- It turns out that the logic being used to build Filter “Groups” was actually
changing the “Group” name, and turning double spaces into no spaces. The
logic has been cleaned up, and won’t be changing any text.
April 3rd, 2018 – v2.3.0
- Implemented support for Shopify’s new dynamic checkout buttons. Now on the product page and quickshop, customers can checkout directly via Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Paypal, and Shopify Payments if you have those gateways set up on your store.
- Fixed the infamous broken Twitter feed.
- Fixed broken Instagram feed.
- Updated images to comply with Shopify’s responsive images updates.
March 23rd, 2018 – v2.1.3
- Fixed some errors from the shipping calculator that weren’t being handled correctly.
February 26th, 2018 – v2.1.2
- Added even more new sections, including an Image with text overlay section, a Featured product section and a Map section, as well as an Announcement bar.
- Fixed up some images in the mega nav that were taking up too much space.
- The add to cart banner wasn’t quite working right when the header was set to be not sticky but now it’s working wonderfully.
- The Rich text section on the home page now supports video imbeds and tabs. Woop woop.
- Newsletter sign up forms now support multiple tags instead of one very very large tag. A customer used to get one tag, such as “prospect newsletter”, but will now get two tags: “prospect” and “newsletter”.
- Tweaked some things with the small promotional area in the header: the icon doesn’t shrink unnecessarily on mobile, and the text updates as you type in the theme editor.
- Made some minor fixes to the search overlays and announcement bar. Things should be smooth as peanut buttah.
- A small bug was found in our product structured data if the store’s money formats contained a delimiter other than a decimal, so Google was complaining a bit. Its been fixed up now!
- Third level dropdowns in the main navigation are now self aware if they will exceed the window boundaries. The rise of the menus has begun.
January 29th, 2018 – v2.0.0
Big update! We’ve listened to your requests and added in a bunch of new sections:
- An Announcement Bar to fill your customers in on new sales, offers and changes to your store
- A Small Promo section to include promotions, hours of operation, contact information and more
- A Slideshow section to show off new items, offers and sales
- A Highlights Banner section to include highlights, offered services, hours of operation and contact information
- A Rich Text section to add valuable content to your homepage
- A Video section to catch your customers’ attention or get into more detail about you and your business
- A Search section to include a search bar anywhere on the homepage
- The Recently Viewed Products section allows customers to keep a history of products that they have recently viewed
We also added in some new settings:
- A option to add up to two custom images to your Mega Menu.
- Improvements to the Mosaic and Grid sections such as individual overlays for each block, the ability to collapse blocks on mobile, global text alignment and a maintain aspect ratio setting.
- A Product video setting which allows you to add videos to the Product gallery
- A Slideshow Aspect Ratio setting which allows you to change the sizes of the images in the Product gallery
- A Variant Option Style setting which allows you to change between a dropdown menu and selectable boxes for variants
- A Show Vendor setting to display the vendor of each product on the collection page
- A Grid/List View toggle setting to change the view of the collections page from a grid to a list
January 26th, 2018 – v1.4.3
- Fixed a couple issues with the currency converter. We added a few more supported currencies, and we made sure that the currency that a customer changes it to shows up in the quick buy modal as well.
- Fixed a verrrrrry picky dropdown arrow so that it’s more easily clickable.
January 16th, 2018 – v1.4.2
- Fixed the broken Instagram and Twitter feeds.
January 11th, 2018 – v1.4.1
- Added support for additional money formats.
- Improved how product pricing behaves when the “compare at price” is the same as the regular price.
January 8th, 2018 – v1.4.0
- Updated the menu system to be integrated with Shopify’s nested navigation update. See this link to get more information on how to set up nested navigation.
November 30th, 2017 – v1.3.0
- Made some updates to the currency converter (improved app compatibility, streamlined some dependency files, fixed up an issue where products were sometimes being shown as 0$ woopsie!)
- Made some minor changes to the cart page to comply with some policy changes from Shopify.
- Overhauled our mobile sections that you can swipe and slide so you can do the same on narrow desktop browsers as well.
November 17th, 2017 – v1.2.10
- Fixed issue with prices showing original price as 0$ on the collection page when “emphasize price” was disabled.
- Fixed issue with a product listing all variants on sale even if only one variant was on sale.
Fixed JS errors and quick shops not loading.
October 26th, 2017 – v1.2.7
- Implemented a small fix to the account orders to allow them to pick up on i18n
- Quickshop is working again!
- Product galleries now only start once all the images have loaded, fixing issues where it would try to start… and not really work.
October 12h, 2017 – v1.2.6
- Square images in your Instagram feed have made a comeback. #tbt
October 5th, 2017 – v1.2.5
- Empire’s documentation now links to the right place. doh.
- Did a little tweaking to the header so it aligns nicely.
September 7th, 2017 – v1.2.2
- There were some tricky cases where variants could cause the “amount saved” to be incorrect. We simplified the logic for these, making it more predictable.
- We moved the “Continue Shopping” cart setting out into a global setting so it can be used on the 404 page.
- Modal popups had some janky scroll behavior. We un-jankyied it. Smooth as peanut buttah.
- Some of you reported the spacing between the header and page contents sometimes being inconsistent. (Math is hard).
- The mobile nav menu now blocks page scrolling, which should reduce stress levels for mobile visitors by a solid 13%.
- Haiku: A Springtime in the H1 Garden:
- Stroll through product page
- H1s blooming everywhere
- Please cut H1s back
- When filtered by a tag group, collection page titles were showing un-needed underscores. They_are_all_gone_now.
August 31st, 2017 – v1.2.1
- Having the account and currency switcher disabled will no longer cause critical failures. There was a screw bouncing around in the guts of the JS controlling the header, making basically everything break.
- Image formats have been liberated! PNG images with transparencies can now be used in Promo blocks and Articles.
- The Twitter feed was reminded that sometimes, you just need to use a really long word. Instead of cutting that word off, it now wrap them.
- Instagram photos returned to square and all is right with the world.
August 3rd, 2017 – v1.1.2
- Fixed issue with second level navigation menus being unscrollable when exceeding the viewport
- Fixed issue with third level navigation menus opening past viewport
July 27th, 2017 – v1.1.1
- Fixed minor bugs with Quick Shop.
July 24th, 2017 – v1.1.0
- Changed all range settings from dropdowns to sliders in theme editor.
July 20th, 2017 – v1.0.2
- Fixed issue with prices in live search not matching store currency if currency switcher is disabled.
- Fixed issue with mega navigation intermittently appearing blank in Safari.
July 14th, 2017 – v1.0.1
- Implemented live search enhancements.
- Fixed issue with mega navigation going blank sometimes in Safari.
- Fixed issue with on sale products showing the wrong price in live search.
- Minor bug fixes.