We’re expanding our ecommerce web app team and looking for a talented individual to help maintain, optimize, and plan the future of our humble (but growing!) app infrastructure.
Who we are
Pixel Union builds tools for small to large businesses on two of the most popular ecommerce platforms, Shopify and BigCommerce. Our development team is small, agile, and fully supported by product management, design, marketing, and growth strategy teams. The products we offer are thoughtful, beautiful, and make a real difference in people’s lives and businesses.
What you’ll be doing
- Working with the rest of the development team, committing and shipping code, improving our deploy processes, and ensuring a scalable, responsive, future-proof infrastructure.
- Keeping forever vigilant of server performance and security threats.
Occasionally interfacing with our support team to help troubleshoot customer-reported issues.
- Helping plan and implement tools and workflows for our support staff to more efficiently administer common customer requests and customer account administration.
- Consulting and recommending future development decisions relating to DB design, schema changes, and performance.
- Working closely with our marketing and growth strategy teams to implement detailed reporting around app metrics and KPIs, and developing internal tools to monitor the performance of our products in the marketplace to better inform future decisions.
What we need from you
- You’re a database pro! Strong experience with SQL (PostgreSQL) and a deep understanding of database design and optimization.
- You’ve worked on medium to large-scale web software before (preferably PHP). You have strong opinions about developing performant, stable RESTful APIs.
- You are independent and self-motivated, capable of being proactive in identifying and patching potential issues.
- You are excited about data, helping to mine for and interpret trends in user behaviour and app performance.
- You’re able to work constructively within a small team, with occasional context switching.
- You are a strong communicator willing to pitch in at multiple steps in the product development process, from planning and design onwards, and contribute to internal documentation.
- You have a passion for collaboration and interdisciplinary learning.
3-5 years experience in a development role, with exposure to DB and server-side performance/optimization work.
- Experience with heroku and the heroku add-on ecosystem is a plus.
- Experience with Laravel and Laravel-adjacent libraries is a plus.